Use Case – Freeway cSkills Digital Recording System
Customer Name: Altnagelvin Hospital
Altnagelvin Hospital has a longstanding and proud reputation as a teaching hospital, offering learning opportunities in a wide range of medical specialties. The hospital currently provides clinical placements to over 250 third and fourth year medical students from Queens University, Belfast. In addition to this, it also hosts over two hundred doctors in-training (junior doctors) and provides placements to medical students from around the world.
As part of the on-going development of the facilities used for clinical teaching, we were approached to design a Freeway cSkills system for the new centre for medical and dental education.
Some of the key requirements for the project are outlined below:
- Implement an easy to use system to allow multiple users to record the various simulation scenarios that take place in the skills ward simulation area
- Integration with the Laerdal manikin simulator, so that the vital signs feed can be recorded as well as the camera feeds in the two HDU areas using a portable recording solution
- Provide de-brief capability in other areas using the existing network infastructure, to allow both live and recorded sessions to be viewed from within the organisation
Fixed Camera Solution
4 x Pan-Tilt-Zoom cameras and 4 x overhead fixed cameras were installed in the ward area along with ceiling mounted microphones capturing the audio. A 20U equipment rack was provided to contain all of the hardware used for controlling the cameras, audio and recording and de-brief equipment.
The whole system is underpinned by our Freeway cSkills software, with a few bespoke elements built in to meet the exact and specific requirements of the client. Some of the key features of the fixed system are detailed below:
- 4 x fixed ceiling and 4 x Pan-Tilt-Zoom cameras with programmable presets were installed to allow complete coverage of the ward area
- Main control workstation features simple and intuitive user interface allowing a wide range of functionality including, camera selection, camera control, starting/stopping of a recording and video playback for de-briefing
- Recordings are stored on a local NAS Server storage unit, allowing for playback from the ward areas and the de-brief rooms
- Recordings available instantly for playback and debrief as soon as the session is complete via the cSkills playback software
- User-definable tags allow the user to mark the video at a specific point of interest. The tags will then appear alongside the video in the playback software and allow the user to quickly access that particular point of the recording at the touch of a button
cSkills Portable Recording
Two Freeway cSkills portable camera systems were provided to allow users to carry out recordings while in the HDU areas. Some of the key features these systems provide are shown below:
- Height adjustable trolley allows camera to be moved around and easily setup to record in a variety of situations
- Audio capture from either or both fixed gooseneck microphone at the top of the stand or using external microphone stand, and wireless lapel microphone which can be worn
- Stand alone system with built in recording, which can be accessed and operated wirelessly from the included Laptop, without the requirement to connect the hospital network
- Tablet control software provides an intuitive interface allowing simple operation for the user to record and control the camera, tag recordings and much more
- Option to integrate a manikin simulator so that the vital signs data feed can be recorded